The Black Keys

March 14, 2012







In my Computers in Art class, we've been working in Adobe Illustrator for the past month to re-design an album of our choosing. I chose The Black Key's album entitled 'El Camino.' A requirement for the project was that we had to think the original cover design needed improving upon. Here is the original, if you didn't already know what it looked like. Though the record is named 'El Camino,' the car on the front of their album is not an El Camino (it's the first type of car they toured in). El Camino, translated is The Road. I wanted to stay true to that original concept, while still getting an El Camino in there too.

Being dissatisfied with the original artwork and knowing that such a cool band deserved a more wildly eclectic cover, I went to work. I wanted something that played on graphic and typographic elements versus photographic ones. I wanted something that aired on the side of simplistic, but had an intricacy about it that was intriguing.

I made the cover booklet which is a 6 paneled roll fold that includes all the lyrics. I made the very back cover (all the songs listed), the spine, and the actual CD design. Also, not pictured is the inner insert that would be behind where the CD is in the case.

The majority of the design was exclusively pen tool. I wanted repeating elements throughout the entire thing. I repeated colors, line work, and small details to unify everything. I chose black and white for the front and back of the booklet. I wanted that to be simple, but upon opening the booklet and CD you're hit with an explosion of bright color. I wanted it to be fun and whimsical. Something, either gender would feel comfortable picking up.

I just thought I'd share something I've been working on for class. Hoping your week isn't dragging as slowly as mine!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

I value each and every comment. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to leave one!

Affiliated

Arkansas Women Bloggers

Archive

Disclaimer

Everything (content and copy) is the property of Ashlee and/or DearieLovie unless otherwise linked or noted. If you see something belonging to you without proper documentation, email me and I will be happy to resolve the issue. I encourage you to actively share any part of Dearie Lovie, just remember to provide proper links and credit when and where appropriate. Copyright 2011-2016.

Subscribe