Fishin' For The Weekend

July 01, 2013


If you follow me on instagram you may have seen the picture I posted after Jack caught his first fish (a brim) a few nights ago. Ever since then, we've caught the fishing bug and have been out at various ponds almost every night of the week for an hour or two with our aunt and cousin. 

Growing up, I have really fond memories of fishing...a lot. It was one of those things that I did exclusively with my father and my grandfather. My grandfather used to compete in fishing tournaments when my father was young and a lot of the memories I have with my grandfather revolve around fishing. I remember holding up my first fish (and still have the Polaroid for evidence somewhere). I remember competing in youth catfishing events. I remember learning about and playing with different types of bait and hooks. I remember being able to identify a variety of fish, being eager to learn about them as much as any little girl could be. I remember them letting me steer the boat and then steering it with my feet. Truly, there are so many fond memories.

However, when I was younger I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I do now. I think I have a lot more patience for it now and over these past few days it's something I've found a lot of unexpected peace in. Fishing has been kind of of like riding a bike, it's something I just remember how to do intuitively. It's as if it's all coming back to me. It's something I've forgotten I actually enjoy doing, which is surreal in different ways.

Jack has taken a real liking and interest in fishing and I'm happy I can be there for him like my grandfather was for me since he's not able to be. I know he'd be absolutely overjoyed to take Jack fishing and teach him all the things he taught me and spend all the time in the world with him. I'm sad Jack doesn't get to have that, but luckily he has something I never did - an older sibling. I hope that I can help him experience things and be there for him in ways I never experienced. I get emotional just thinking about it.

Jack has now caught 3 fish and couldn't be more enamored with spending time by the water. I hope that what is left of this summer will be filled with more fishing trips. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

I value each and every comment. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to leave one!

Affiliated

Arkansas Women Bloggers

Archive

Disclaimer

Everything (content and copy) is the property of Ashlee and/or DearieLovie unless otherwise linked or noted. If you see something belonging to you without proper documentation, email me and I will be happy to resolve the issue. I encourage you to actively share any part of Dearie Lovie, just remember to provide proper links and credit when and where appropriate. Copyright 2011-2016.

Subscribe