Are You Participating in National Novel Writing Month?

October 28, 2013



Hey, all. I'm here today to blog a little bit about National Novel Writing Month (or Nanowrimo). I've been a Nano-er since 2008, but have only participated full out in 2008 and 2009. Each and every year, November comes and I have that vague, anxious desire to spend the entire month hammering out a new novel. The itch to write/to compete has never fully left me. However, the latter part of high school and the beginning half of college have kept me at bay. I've always been a bit of a 'writer.' I use the word 'writer' loosely here, so as not to offend actual writers. I just mean that I've always enjoyed writing. I've always had story plots and ideas bouncing around in my head. I've always spent my free time writing, in school, at home, at sleepovers - wherever. Luckily when I was younger I found friends in people who liked to read and write just as much as I. Without them, I doubt I'd still be just as obsessed with writing as I ever was.

For a brief time, English was my major before I decided to switch over to Art/Visual Design. Writing, reading, and English have always had a very special place in my heart. I journal constantly and find myself starting snippets of stories here and there. I even took the time during the summer to sift through my old poetry and gather all the best stuff and publish it for myself.

So, right now I'm in this weird transitional stage in my life where I'm really trying to take inventory of things, activities and hobbies I actually enjoy. Writing definitely is up there and I think the perfect way to get back in to it, is to commit to Nanowrimo for the first time in nearly four years.

Am I scared as can be? Uhm, that would be a 'hell yes.' The task of writing a 50,000 word novel is daunting especially when I have to consider academic, sorority, and other personal responsibilities in addition to writing previously mentioned novel. However, I think that doing this is going to really personally enriching. It's something I want to do, just for myself and that, my friend, is mighty important and powerful.

I have no doubt that writing that much again daily will be a challenge because for the longest time I've been writing kind of willy-nilly whenever I felt the passion or motivation. I'm going to have to approach this month of my life a little differently. Regardless of inspiration or desire, the biggest part of this is commitment - commitment to getting those words down on the page. It's exhilarating to think about.

I'm serious this year. I have a vague story idea in mind and am committed to trying to outline a little bit beforehand so that I have a steady direction for when it's time to start. I'm even considering hitting up a Nano meet-up with people from my region who are participating. I've never known anyone else who has participated so I think that could be really inspiring!

As Nano comes, I'm sure I'll be keeping you all up-to-date with my progress and resources in other posts.

So, are you participating in Nanowrimo or any other personal challenges this upcoming month?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I value each and every comment. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to leave one!

Affiliated

Arkansas Women Bloggers

Archive

Disclaimer

Everything (content and copy) is the property of Ashlee and/or DearieLovie unless otherwise linked or noted. If you see something belonging to you without proper documentation, email me and I will be happy to resolve the issue. I encourage you to actively share any part of Dearie Lovie, just remember to provide proper links and credit when and where appropriate. Copyright 2011-2016.

Subscribe